Here's what I wrote on my Facebook wall this afternoon with a google album link of 13 photos-->
I’m back from a 2 week road trip today and here are my highlights & noticings:
• I drove over 5,500 miles and spent over $800 in gas. I spent $98.58 on a tank of gas in Van Horn, TX, while not the most expensive place on my trip it was where I let it get the emptiest.
• While it would have been cheaper to fly, I was able to take Balt along to visit Jessi and bring back all of Monika’s belongings from her 4 years of college living in California, so I saved a bunch on shipping.
• Visiting my adult daughter at her apartment which was only a block away from the beach and 10 miles from Padre Island National Park was definitely a highlight of my trip. The tour she give me of the Lexington (old battleship) and getting to see lots of old aircraft while she told me about learning to fly new jets was pretty amazing.
• My camping trip with my brother was another great highlight. I realized I had never gone anywhere with my brother alone, just the two of us for any extended period of time let alone 3 days. While he and I are VERY different —I’m 4 years older, a girl and an optimist. We have a lot more in common than I expected: both Gen-X’ers to a “T”, although he is a bit more pessimistic politically.
• The power of positive thinking is a whole lot more powerful than I expected as my mom is now living 4 years with stage 4 mediatized lung (brain) cancer. Spending time with her is wonderful because I am witness to so much will power and grace but also difficult as I see cancer and illness impair her. She is fighting a good fight and is being rewarded.
• Connecting with family (and friends!) is always special because we are all so far apart. Seeing my cousin Sylvia and her family in her home was a blast, as well as getting to spend time with my brother at his home with his family. I wish we could all see each other more often.
• I listened to 5 books, several podcasts and lots of music. Favorite book- Michael Pollan’s How to Change Your Mind (I’m ready to). Favorite Podcast- Jon Favreau’s The Wilderness (every American should listen). Favorite Music—it’s so hard to pick one song or even album but Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation helped get me through some tough Texas congestion and Genesis’s Mama made bumper to bumper traffic on the 80 in Nebraska a lot more fun.
• Hearing Stairway to Heaven on the radio feels exactly the same on the road in the middle of America as a 52 year old in an old Ford as it did as a 17 year in a Fiat Convertible… Why is that song always on the radio while driving long distances?
• A wise man once told a good friend that you don’t go on vacation to lose weight. Well, I gained 10 pounds on this road trip—not good! I went to Starbucks 10x, In N Out 4x, Subway 2x, Mexican 1x, Chick Fil A 1x & McD’s 1x. Yes, I’m on a diet now!
• My first road trip was 35 years ago! I’m more experienced, driving a bigger vehicle & body. While I certainly haven’t gone on a road trip every year since I was 17, I’ve been on plenty and ready for another one... but not this year.
In the comments: I thought about my dad every time I was surrounded by truck drivers! I even got a friendly honk from oen after letting him cut in front of me to pass a slow poke.